Thursday, September 22, 2011

Wait, was that...?

  In two weeks I am running an X-terra trail half marathon in Colorado Springs, CO. I've lived at nothing higher than 500ft above sea level all of my life. I'm in trouble. I've been in Colorado for two weeks now and I'm slowly working my way into "Thin air." So due to this fact, I've continued running everyday. Usually, no more than 50 minutes. Well, on Monday I told myself that Tuesday, "I'm going running for 8 miles." My friend Amanda, who is also running the half marathon and not used to the altitude, told me to go right ahead. She wasn't going. So I headed out to look for trails. The last two weeks have been mostly street runs. I needed some trail but didn't have the energy to run eight miles of Boulder's "boulders". So I headed for the pavement. It was nothing too fancy for the first 30 minutes and I was still breathing. As I was about to turn around and head back I saw a sign for the Bobolink trail on the east side of town. I can't turn that down! There I was about to leave and head back on the road and all of a sudden I see a trail?! I took it. I had no idea how long it would go, but I figured I could try it and then turn around if I needed.
  What is greater than running trail along a creek with the Colorado mountains in front of you? Nothing. So awesome. For those of you who stick to the road, do yourself a favor and hit a trail one day. You won't regret it. So this is a buffer for the point of my story: a few months ago Runner's World came out with an article about the greatest trail runner in the world, Kilian Jornet. Oh yeah and by the way he also lives in Boulder, CO. He kind of a bad ass when it comes to all things trail and mountaineering. So about five minutes into my trail section I come head on to another runner. He's going pretty fast and not really paying much attention to anything else. But the thing is...he kind of looks like Kilian Jornet. So we pass each other and the whole time after I pass him I ask myself, "Was that just Kilian Jornet?" Of course it most likely wasn't but if it was that would be pretty cool, eh?
  So long story short I finish my trail run through under the watch of the mountains and end back on Baseline. A total of 8.65 miles. Overall, it was a good day.
Boulder (Bobolink Trail/City) by mdlove297 at Garmin Connect - Details

No comments:

Post a Comment